For the first 21 years, Dr. Nancy E. Epstein practiced neurosurgery at North Shore University Hospital/Manhasset and Long Island Jewish Hospital where she was the Chief of the Division of Neurosurgery at NSH/Manhasset (1991-2001). Presently, she is the Chief of Neurosurgical Spine and Education at Winthrop University Hospital.
Dr. Epstein's academic title is Clinical Professor of Neurological Surgery at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She is also an adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychology at Columbia University. She is on 6 Editorial Boards including:
- Spine (USA)
- Journal of Spinal Disorders (USA)
- Surgical Neurology (USA)
- The Spine Journal (USA)
- Spinal Surgery (Japan)
- Spinal Cord (England)
She has served on many of these boards for over 10-15 years. Dr. Epstein has authored over 121 peer reviewed original papers and 44 original chapters in textbooks.
Dr. Epstein has served as the President of the Cervical Spine Research Society (2001-2002). This society includes a restricted membership of 175 spinal surgeons, including Orthopedists and Neurosurgeons, who are considered experts in the treatment of cervical (neck) spine disease.
Dr. Epstein's awards have included the Annual Achiever's Award (1988) from the Long Island Center For Business and Professional Women. She is also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) (1985), and a Fellow of the International College of Surgeons (FICS) (1984). In medical school she was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Society Honors Society (1975).
Dr. Epstein is a member of multiple professional medical societies. These include:
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves of AANS
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- North American Lumbar Spine Society
- New York State Neurosurgical Society
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Women's Association Inc.
- Nassau County Medical Society
- Barnard College (Columbia University) Science Advisory Council-2004
Click here to view Curriculum Vitae